- Food: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender [review]
- Water: On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan [review]
- Title: Lord of the Flies by William Golding [review]
- Plant: The Garden Party by Katherine Mansfield [review]
- Place: Brownsville: Stories by Oscar Casares [review]
- Music: Hot Water Music by Charles Bukowski [review]
The point of this challenge is to read 6 books whose titles are somehow related to 6 given categories. This year, the categories were food, water, title, plant, place, and music.
My favorite read for the challenge, hands down, was Brownsville: Stories. The book, written by Oscar Casares, is a collection of unrelated short stories set in South Texas. I read both of Casares’s books this year, and I love how he’s able to capture the local culture in his work.
My least favorite book was Hot Water Music. The book was also a collection of about 40 short stories, most being about three pages in length. It was my first Bukowski experience, and quite frankly, it will probably also be my last Bukowski experience. (But hey, if I ever feel like reading someone’s drunken diatribes and misogyny sometime in the future, at least I’ll know where to turn.)