In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.
My apologies for the radio silence the past week and half. Tuesday was the first week of classes so I had a ton of lesson planning to do, but something else happened that put a crimp in things:
My nook met an untimely demise: I was reading in bed in the middle of the night, noticed a mosquito biting my arm, then used my free hand to swat it…completely missing the mosquito and swatting the nook out of my grip instead. Yeah. That’s the kind of gracefulness I have. I spent the following day sulking and mourning (I’m mega poor right now), and my brother finally told me, “Call customer service, you idiot.” I did, and even though my warranty had expired, the awesome guy on the phone managed to extend it and get me another refurbished nook! It was definitely the best thing I received in my mailbox this week:
Can I just say that Barnes & Noble has been nothing but awesome to me? This is actually nook #4 for me. First generation nooks had a problem with the bezel; mine cracked within the year from so much use. Since it was still under warranty, they exchanged it for another refurbished nook. But the contrast on the screen of the replacement was nowhere near as sharp as my original nook, so I called and they agreed to send me nook #3 ASAP. And now here I am at #4. When I eventually decide to upgrade to a new ereader, I am absolutely sticking with nook.
And now for the books. Here’s what I’ve gotten in the past few weeks…
- A Map of Home by Randa Jarrar | Published 8.25.09 | Purchase
- A Xicana Codex of Changing Consciousness: Writings, 2000-2010 by Cherrie Moraga | Published 5.17.11 | Publisher
- City Gates by Elias Khoury | Published 11.27.07 | Library
- Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food by Ann N. Martin | Published 7.23.08 | Bookmooch
- Madre: Perilous Journeys with a Spanish Noun by Liza Bakewell | Published 11.15.10 | From Veronica at Viva La Feminista
- Never the Hope Itself: Love and Ghosts in Latin America and Haiti by Gerry Hadden | Published 9.6.11 | ARC
- Nude by Nuala Ní Chonchúir | Published 9.1.09 | Purchase
- Picking Bones from Ash by Marie Mutsuki Mockett | Published 9.29.09 | Purchase
- PJ Harvey’s Rid of Me: A Story by Kate Schatz | Published 8.1.07 | Purchase
- Rose: Love in Violent Times by Inga Muscio | Reprinted 3.1.11 | Purchase
- The Call by Yannick Murphy | Published 8.2.11 | ARC
- The Mistress Contract by Anonymous | Published 10.18.11 | LibraryThing Early Reviewers
- The True Memoirs of Little K by Adrienne Sharp | Published 10.26.10 | ARC
- Wildwood: The Wildwood Chronicles, Book I by Colin Meloy & Carson Ellis | Published 8.30.11 | Purchase
There’s lot of awesome stuff in here, including Inga Muscio’s latest book, Rose, and Nude by Nuala Ní Chonchúir (which I’ve been trying to get a hold of for ages but couldn’t because it was out of stock). Wildwood was released on Tuesday; I’ve already finished it and will be reviewing it later this week. But the one book that I’m glad I got this week was Food Pets Die For, mostly because I had a scary dog food situation going on the past couple of weeks; my dog’s brand new bag of Science Diet had been making him really sick and I finally realized that something was wrong with his food. He’s fine now, but I’m both curious and terrified to read that book. 😦
So that’s that. Now that I have access to my ebooks, I can finish some reviews I’d been working on. I’m determined to get back on a posting schedule this week!