I started toying with the idea of a book blog in 2009 when I participated in Infinite Summer, where readers tackled David Foster Wallace’s Infinite Jest over the course of three months. In January 2010, The Feminist Texican [Reads] was born. (Following the blog’s makeover in November 2013, the name simply became Feminist Texican Reads.)
A few of my interests & book-related things about me, for those inquiring minds that want to know (or not):
- I’m a feminist who loves Jonathan Franzen. There. I said it.
- But Junot Díaz is the one I have a serious literary crush on. See also: John Steinbeck.
- I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in English & Philosophy, a Master of Arts degree in Women’s History, and I’m halfway through my Master of Library and Information Science degree.
- I teach English.
- All that book learnin’ aside, I quote Clueless and School of Rock way more than I should.
- About a third of the books on my shelves are women’s studies-related nonfiction.
- All of my pets are boys: a dog, 4 cats (long story), and 2 parrots.
- Donuts. They’re awesome.
Disclosures: I get a tiny percentage of the profits from items bought through many of the product links on the site; these proceeds go towards the book giveaways that I host periodically. Also, I sometimes receive books from publishers for review purposes, but I will always give my honest opinion about a book regardless of where it came from. I always note the source of the books at the end of each review.