I started toying with the idea of a book blog in 2009 when I participated in Infinite Summer, where readers tackled David Foster Wallace’s Infinite Jest over the course of three months. In January 2010, The Feminist Texican [Reads] was born. (Following the blog’s makeover in November 2013, the name simply became Feminist Texican Reads.)
A few of my interests & book-related things about me, for those inquiring minds that want to know (or not):
- I’m a feminist who loves Jonathan Franzen. There. I said it.
- But Junot Díaz is the one I have a serious literary crush on. See also: John Steinbeck.
- I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in English & Philosophy, a Master of Arts degree in Women’s History, and a Master of Library and Information Science.
- I teach English.
- All that book learnin’ aside, I quote Clueless and School of Rock way more than I should.
- About a third of the books on my shelves are women’s studies-related nonfiction.
- I have three dogs, four cats, and two parrots.
- Donuts. They’re awesome.
- I travel a lot. So far: 28 countries and counting!